As a Certified Doula (CD) in Berlin with DONA International, I am independent and only working for families, not caregivers or hospitals, to support a safe and satisfying experience in pregnancy, at birth, and after birth.
My practice takes the shape of each birth and family. I fully trust a mother’s ability to give birth, and I know the importance of companioning to access her inner power.
Read more: My birth & postpartum support
My experience as a doula with the postpartum period has been amplified and deepened as a facilitator at Lo Spazio delle Mamme, a weekly group that supports mothers in Berlin free of charge, supported by public funding.
Get in touch for a free meeting
Anyone who has the fortune of finding you, will be moved by your sense of care. It’s so deep in you. ♥
Camalo Gaskin, Doula & Mentor at the Center for Doula Pathways
What is a doula?
A doula is “a trained professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to a mother before, during and shortly after childbirth to help her achieve the healthiest, most satisfying experience possible.” DONA International
Birth doula support results in:
- 39% less likely cesarean section
- 15% more likely spontaneous vaginal birth
- 31% less likely synthetic oxytocin
- 10% less likely pain medication
- 38% less likely low five minute Apgar score
- 31% less likely negative experience of birth
Here you can also find more evidence about why doulas are an effective support.
Read more about: Why would I need a doula?
What does doula support look like?
- Physical support – touch, massage, counter pressure, rebozo, calming environment, water, warmth and cold therapy, food and drinks, fascia therapy, support in movement and positions.
- Emotional support – continuous presence, reassurance, encouragement, praise, company and caring, mirroring, mirroring, optimism, acceptance, empathy, working through fears and self-doubt; debriefing after birth.
- Informational support – guidance through labour, suggesting techniques for breathing, relaxation, movement and positioning; preparing with evidence-based information and explaining medical procedures; helping and involving partners.
- Advocacy support – asking for the preferences of the birthing person, supporting and amplifying her voice, encouraging the family to ask questions, creating space to make decisions, supporting constructive communication.
What does my doula support look like?
Each family has specific needs. I offer my support both as single sessions, and combining them together in a package. Here are some examples of what I offer (for costs, you can check here):
- Prenatal meetings (birth preparation for body and mind, heart and spirit)
- Phone and email consultations
- On-call status from 2 weeks before the estimated due date, with a back-up doula
- Companionship during labour and birth and immediate postpartum support
- Postpartum visits (practical, emotional and physical support)
- Rebozo “closing the bones” ceremony
You are very welcome to contact me to arrange a free meeting and see if my approach feels right for you.
Dear Marta, I have known Dewi like a daughter since she was 14. We received her 1st Baby only 14 months ago. Last night she told me how amazing you were for her. Bless you, you found the perfect touch and words for Dewi in her unique life. I thought maybe somehow that you knew her already for years! You have the true heart ♥ of a Doula. Terima Kasih
Love, Ibu Robin
Ibu Robin Lim, Midwife & Author, 2011 CNN Hero of the Year
- Midwife Ibu Robin Lim (“Placenta – The Forgotten Chakra”), doula Debra Pascali Bonaro (“Orgasmic Birth”) and midwife Mala Landt trained me as a doula with DONA International.
- In Berlin, I am part of the Center for Doula Pathways, a collective of doulas who support each other, trained by Camalo Gaskin and Marcello Windolph. I rely on a back-up doula as an extra guarantee of support for the families I follow, and I reach out to my community to exchange knowledge and experiences.
- Fascia touch is a wonderful approach that I use prenatally, at birth and in the postpartum.
- Spinning Babies® techniques help restore balance and make room for the baby in the mother’s body.
- This is a beautiful video course for future parents featuring Michel Odent and Liliana Lammers.
- A doula is a birth companion, and I have come into this role with deep respect.
- My practice of doula and yoga teacher are independent but share the same qualities.